EASY SITTING POSE
(SUK as anna)
Sukha = joy, pleasure, or ease
Learn to sit straight. Stretch the lower trunk up without tensing it. Open the chest by moving the dorsal spine in and widening the front ribs away from the sternum. Take the shoulders back. Drop the upper arms down.
- With the buttocks on the floor, cross the legs. Ankles lined up one in front of the other.
- Remove any flesh from the sit bones by pulling it back so that you sit on the fronts of your sits bones.
- Rest the hands on the knees with the palms facing up. Knees should be lower than the pelvis.
- Grounding the sit bones into the floor, reach up through the lumbar spine, open the shoulders pressing the chest forward and relax the shoulders.
- Relax the face, release the jaw and soften the tongue
- Breathing through the nose, tummy going out on the inhale and pull the belly button to the spine on the e
Modifications and props:
Place a folded blanket under the hips so that the knees are lower than the hips. You can also prop your knees with blankets if the stretch is too intense.
This pose may not feel good to your knees if you have had knee surgery, In that case you can always open up a leg or find a sitting pose that is “easy” for you.
Open the hips, lengthens the spine, promotes groundedness and inner calm
Recent or chronic knee or hip injury or inflammation;